Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Crunchy deep-fried derby girl


I love roller derby. LOVE. I love the skating, I love my teammates, I even love, to a degree, trying to improve the things that I suck badly at, though you would THINK that transitions would have worked themselves out better after 2+ years... but I digress. I love my sport.

Leadership, though... leadership is eating my lunch, kids.  I am over saying I'm a "bad" president.  I'm not.  I've done a lot of good for my league and I know they appreciate it, even though over the last few months I've been a lot less attentive than I should be.

I said all along that I was in for a year then out, just like I said with treasurer before that. My theory on service to an organization is that setting a term limit from the start is smart if it is set in conjunction with your goals for your service.  You set your goal- you have your time limit - then hopefully you meet your goal and you're done, or you don't, and you at least did enough that you did some good to the greater body that you're there to support.

I like a year.  A year means that I might do some good, but I won't do so much damage that it won't be fairly easily undone... and my year is coming to an end, thank GOD.

This? Is me.
I am so burned out. It is not that I don't give a damn, I just don't have the energy for actually utilizing the damn that I give and thus, things get dropped and not picked up.  Presidency has taken an additional 10-20 hours per week on top of trying to be an effective team member, and while I fully intend to continue being of service to my league, I really am looking forward to it being a little more part-time and a little less important.




No comments:

Post a Comment