Monday, March 28, 2011

In lieu of actual content...

1.) What smell brings you a fond memory?

There is a particular combination of diesel, motor oil, and dirt that smells exactly like every truck my dad ever had when he was still in the oil field.  It smells the best when the truck is slightly warm, and seems to go with vinyl seats and a haze of sheen on the floorboard that will stain the cuffs of your pants if you're not careful about how you get in.  I find that smell accidentally, sometimes, usually when I'm going to look for something in one of our shop trucks at work.  It doesn't bring me a specific memory, but just a general sense of happiness in the wooshing back of my childhood. 

2.) What song makes you nostalgic?

Not that it's the only one, but here lately Possum Kingdom by the Toadies has been making a comeback.  It reminds me of the summer in between my Sophomore and Junior years in High School, when Squid and I worked together at McDonald's and were dating a brother and sister that lived in Converse (Mary, who is still amazing, and Corey, who still looks a little bit like Lyle Menendez).  Between the four of us, I was the one with the vehicle I wasn't sharing with a parent and so the 4 of us spent a lot of time crammed into the front seat of my tiny Mazda truck.  We went to the public landing a lot with our portable CD player, and while I'm pretty sure that it was actually Green Day's "Dookie" album that we listened to the most, I remember very clearly the indignant, loud, 4-way damned argument that broke out over whether or not this song was about vampires or rape.  That fight resulted in one person choosing to walk home and a breakup that probably lasted for at least 3 days (which was a very long time, back then).  Wikipedia says "neither" (where the hell was that 16 years ago?) but I still think it's about vampires.  And I still think Corey was kind of a dumbass for saying rape.

3.) What taste reminds you of school?

Thunderbird with grape Kool-aid. Not that I've HAD Thunderbird with grape Kool-Aid since school, but I can still remember what it tasted like.

4.) Which season makes you remember the most things in your past?

Autumn.  I get super nostalgic around Halloween/ Day of the Dead.  No particular reason; almost every deceased person I miss passed in the summer or winter.  I don't get nostalgic for football or marching band. Honestly... I'm not sure much of consequence has ever happened to me in the autumn but it's still my season for reminiscing. 

5.) Which memory do you treasure?

It's no secret that I have an awful memory but I seem to do just fine at remembering the important ones.  I remember when I met Squid, Sabine, James, and John, all specifically. I don't remember exactly when I met Evil Sara but I do remember lots of memories of her from before we were BFFs and still just Freshmen/Sophomores at LSC.  I remember when all my favorite kids were born, a few extra special first kisses, and more than a few times when one of the people I love made me laugh so hard I couldn't breathe... or started snorting.  So- given that I have such a crappy memory, we'll just say that anything I do remember is probably still there for a great reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment