Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Two posts in one day isn't always a good thing.

I am not listening to Tom Petty anymore.  Now I'm listening to Body Count and it really isn't quite angry enough.  Surprisingly, I'm still in a really good mood I'm just all indignant at the moment... and I'm venting so I can go back to my happy place.

So here's the thing.

I've met some REALLY nice people from the Internet.  A couple of them I consider to be good friends now, all because of sites such as OKCupid or Match and the like.  Granted, I've also met some folks who I think probably need a lesson in honesty in advertising but it what happens, and it doesn't mean that the impression is an entirely negative one.  You know how menu photos of food rarely really resemble what shows up?  Well, that's because menus are using the food item's eHarmony* picture.  Sometimes what you get isn't exactly what it looked like on paper but I've had very few bad experiences with meeting people via the Interwebz.

So, today, meeting a new person for lunch. No big deal, right? Well, ok, I make EVERYTHING a big deal but in the grand scheme of things, this isn't major, it's lunch.  We find one another, we sit down, we order, and we start talking. He starts talking.

Turns out, by "separated/divorced" he actually meant "haven't gotten around to leaving my wife yet but it's totally on my to-do list and right now I think I just want to run around some to make sure I'm sure, but it's all kind of the same thing, right?" 

Seriously, I don't have a lot of deal-breakers.  Looking at my dating history I daresay I'm pretty damned open-minded (Sabine would say way too damned open minded, but then, Sabine loves hearing the stories).  HOWEVER...

Lemme just say this - and I'm going to preach it like I'm the One Who Makes The Rules.  "Still Married" is not "Separated." Separated means - We've moved out. We're working on figuring out whose Grateful Dead T-shirt that was in the first place, but one of us has signed a lease somewhere else, or gone back to Momma's, and we're done with this and we're going to get to a lawyer soon but we may have to wait for our tax return.  Life might still be messy but we're done. That's what "Separated" is.  Once you've hit "Separated," if'n you think you are ready for it then fine- go put yourself on the dating-and-eligible market. Get yourself a profile or a wingman, and have at it, just disclose your status clearly.  And- in the event it needs saying- "Divorced" means that you're NO LONGER MARRIED. Right? Right.

If you've not gotten to one of those points, though, and you just absolutely positively can't refrain from shopping around, do the rest of us a favor and go find a "married but looking" website or support group or whatever.  I don't adhere to that set of ethics but whatever.  Call it what it is, though.  That way any participants (or potential ones) in your activities are at least fully informed and not sitting across from you in public contemplating hitting you in the nose because you're breaking the rules.

And no. I did not stick around for the food to actually get to the table (nor did I initiate any physical violence). I left. Because that's what righteously indignant derby girls do when people break the rules of common sense and fair gameplay. Instead, I came back to work and had lunch with my office girls, and now I'm going to order myself a new set of skate wheels just because I can because married men annoy me and wheels are cooler than a little black dress any day.  But first, I'm going to watch this clip of my very favorite example of RIGHTEOUS INDIGNATION.





*Nope. I do not, nor will I ever again, have an eHarmony profile. I did, once, about 9 years ago or so. They FIRED ME.  eHarmony can burn.

4 comments:

  1. wow! Wow! WOW! I have always considered audacity to be a positive trait, but I may need to reconsider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you should have got his phone number. So you could call his wife, she might have helped him with his difficult decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3 Chasing Amy

    And what Trixie said...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, he was an asshole. He's the reason that it's almost impossible to be a man online, because no woman will trust you when pricks like that are in the world

    ReplyDelete