Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"Life is short. Live your dream, and wear your passion."

True Story:

So this morning, I'm Googlechatting with my EvilSara over whether or not something she did may have been a little bit catty (ruling: a little bit, but well within acceptable parameters) and I'm dorking around on Pinterest while reading her story.  I find this card, and link it to her.

Buy this card at holstee.com


The story wraps up, she has to go off to do honest-to-God RealWork, and I tell her that she should tell me what to write about today.  I've got about 5 GREAT questions in my inbox this morning but they're kind of like the really good holiday chocolates that you want to stretch out and savor and I don't want to use one up just yet.  She says that I should share the card.  I decide to turn it into an assignment.

"Ask the next person you see what their passion is, and share your inspiring dream with them."
The next person to enter my office is my favorite manager here at work.  I'm the Queen of All Things Paper and Office-Related and he is the King of Doing The Things That Bring In Money For Me To Spend. We have a great working relationship but we really aren't buddies. So I say, kind of randomly, "Hey, Hogeye (no, really, it's what he goes by), what's your passion?"

He gets a dreamy look on his face, and he sets his coffee down as he stares out the window at the sky for a minute.  This guy is apparently the Master of the Pregnant Pause- I realized I was literally holding my breath.  Finally he looks back at me, setting both hands on the desk and says with the sweetest little-boy voice I've ever heard come out of this huge, imposing manly man- "I just want to shoot deer. Every day. If I could go hunting every single day and bring home a 10-point buck, I'd be a happy guy."  And then he burped.

Due to work happening, I didn't have the chance to fulfill the second part of the assignment but I'm kind of okay with that. "Inspiring Dream?" I don't think I have one.  I can think of many things that I would be happy doing but the truth of it is, I'm really very happy where I am.  I want to end up being a lot of things- a more creative seamstress, a better skater, a more reliable leader- but those things are being cultivated at pretty much whatever pace I set and with as much effort as I choose to give them which is really all I get to ask for, right?  I have everything that I need- from tangible needs like shelter and food and clothing to intangible, like love and inspiration and support and people to yell at me when I need yelling at.  I have a lot of what I want, but I have enough wants left out there that I can try to acquire them.  As far as career passions go- I like my job.  I'm not necessarily doing Great Things and I should feel a little bit guilty about that... but I help run a company that keeps 13 families going, and we contribute to the local economy by hiring local subcontractors and using local materials and dealing with local entitled jackasses on a daily basis, so that's something.  I get to be useful, I get plenty of time to do my own thing when my usefulness is not required, and I work with amazing people, even if all they really want to do is shoot deer.  It probably looks a lot like settling from the outside but it doesn't feel that way from my bouncy-ball chair. 
I think my inspiring dream is to keep being happy, ya'll.

Thank you, Sara!

1 comment:

  1. I like that inspiring dream!!!

    Being content with what you have and doing your best at it is a noble goal.

    oh, and my New York bred boss who's lived here for 2 years just brought in his 1st taxidermied deer head and has been braggin' about it all day long. I told him he was now a Mississippian, no denying.

    ReplyDelete