Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The best way out of a difficulty is through it. -- Will Rogers



Sometimes, things are hard.

My cell phone does not work in my office. Due to location and carrier, I've got the "No Signal!!!" signal from the time I sit down til I leave... and yesterday, I didn't leave for lunch, so I was pretty much in a dead void for 9 hours. This isn't atypical; I really only leave for lunch about twice a week.

During those 9 hours, my father decided he hadn't talked to me in a few days.  This isn't accurate.  We spoke on Monday night, right before I went into the rink, but he forgot. He remembered calling me, but not my return call.  So he called me... and he called my sister. And he called a former co-worker, and then he called the police to report me missing.  By the time I got out of work, I had 7 voice mails from assorted people, including the Sheriff's department who ran my license, realized that I am 33 and not 25 (as reported) and realized that maybe they were dealing with a confused elderly person and did their best to calm him down.

So, I called my dad, and was kind of vilified as being a bad person due to a lack of communication that was entirely in his head.  I can't be mad at him, though. In addition to his other myriad of health conditions (including but not limited to sleep apnea, COPD, pain management treatments for his back, and emphysema) he's got early-onset Alzheimer's.  

And then there was the conclusion to the evening- a long conversation which ended in my feeling as though I'd been kind of rung through an entirely different set of emotional wringers, and then the nice deputy showed up to verify that I was indeed alive and well after I'd gotten home and the dust was already settled.



Annnd for the second night in a row, no sleep.

There are good things, though.  I have awesome people who rally at the drop of a pin to make sure that I know I'm loved, that I am aware that I'm doing as well as I can, and that I'm still fun to be around, even if I don't feel so fun.  The receptionists insisted that I give my dad a direct number so that if he's having a moment, he can call me, and they assured me it'd be no problem and were awesome this morning. Today, I get to meet my new niece or nephew on the ultrasound, and assuming they cooperate, I'll be helping Jordan plan and execute her reveal photos.

Time to focus on the good things.


No comments:

Post a Comment