Monday, January 14, 2013

Second and 3rd shows of 2013; a bunch of other stuff, too!

Monday morning met me with trying to think of one solid and viable reason for why I should call in sick to work.  It was dreary... and I am capital-T Tired.

Friday Morning: Ortho Appointment

Thank the Sweet Gods of Roller Derby, I get to skate again. I've got to hold back on full contact for a week or two but that's ok; I can at least roll, which is enough for now.  My team has been hitting the ground running on endurance and skills this season, and I am very eager to catch up- and now I can.  Glory-be.  I feel like I ought to erect a small alter in the names of Quadzilla and Suzy Hotrod or something, and sacrifice bearings to it monthly.  Or maybe I should just freakin' skate.

Friday Night: Show at the Man Cave on Dalzell Street:  The Rusty Shacklefords, Midnight Tiger, Blood Punch.

The man cave used to be an efficiency apartment behind a residence. Now it has been turned into a practice space by some folks with some serious love for reusing and recycling carpet and carpet insulation... the addition of such on the walls and ceiling definitely gives it a certain vibe.  This was not a hugely advertised free, all ages show, but the bonus is that only about 15 people can fit into the venue, so that worked out.

The Shax did a great set despite Eric being a little out of his element on a borrowed drum kit (a move to keep space free, due to the size of the place).  Midnight Tiger was a band I was unfamiliar with; I'd heard lead vocalist Dylan as a drummer and Mike on guitar with other local bands but had not heard this group before (and I have no idea who the bassist was, though I'm sure he's a very nice person).  I've gotta say they were more metal than I was expecting and the sound was tight even if I couldn't follow the lyrics for the most part.  Blood Punch I was also entirely unfamiliar with; a three-part Hip Hop group with some fun lyrics.  We didn't stick around through their entire set; I was getting claustrophobic and Eric was feeling bad, so we abandoned Dalzell and found food and then rallied later for beers at Strange Brew, where there was no live music but I found an Erdinger hefeweisen and Misti found Peach Lamic, and a Ghost Hunter met up with us and a good time was had by all until Strange Brew closed.

TCK League Meeting:  ALL DAMN DAY Saturday

Good work got done. I'm not a president anymore!  Now I'm a secretary, and that's better, I think.  This was followed by a glorious nap and a thought that I'd just lay around and read, but instead...

Saturday Night: Noble Savage:  Everyday People

I decided to head downtown to catch a group I've heard of for ages but never seen.  I declined the menu and found myself another hefe, though I can't recall which one, now. Pity, it was good.  I had an absolutely wonderful time reading my kindle app (American Gods, finally) and listening to a really good brassy band with a jazzy rock vibe and being grateful that the Savage is the kind of place where you can enjoy an introverted moment while still being in a social setting.  Eventually I was found by a couple of the Ghost Hunters, and it was another late night, but Sunday was able to be a mostly chill day, so it worked out.


2 comments: